Sunday, August 16, 2009

Melancholy

Feeling a bit of melancholy today. I learned yesterday that Ms Barbara Croissant died recently. Ms Croissant was a big influence on me - even though I haven't seen or heard about her for many years.

She was one of my Language Arts teachers at Joliet East HS. And, as the sponsor for the It's Academic competitive trivia team, it is safe to say that she started my strong interest in trivia - an interest that continues today. I never made the team for a televised competition. But, I did accompany them once to the studio as an alternate. It was lots of fun.

Along with a couple other teachers, it would be accurate to blame Ms Croissant for most of my interests in literature and, of course, writing. I remember her well for often pushing and challenging me to keep doing even better.
She will be missed and long remembered by many.

Now, re my health, I am having minor problems today. Nothing too serious. I took an ambien last night and did sleep OK. But, today I am having quite a bit of pain in my left heel. Don't know what that is all about. Had similar pain when I was taking the Tarceva - so maybe it is chemo-related.

I also had an rough time at Sams right after lunch. But, I think that was caused by huge temperature swings. 92 outside - freezing in O'Charleys (had to get sweat shirts for both of us) - back out to 92 - into Sams which was warm. I didn't get far before telling Jill I would meet her back at the car. Kicked on the AC in the car and felt mostly better after a few minutes.

Now that we're back home, I am just relaxing while I do a little laundry. Should be a non-eventful evening.

While doing laundry, I am experiencing pain in my right side. It has become significant enough that I just took a couple vicodin. Hopefully, that will ease things and I will be a little better.


Take care and be well. - JimA


Sent via Blackberry. Please excuse short answers and typos.

1 comment:

Deb Schultz said...

I was so sorry to hear of Ms. Croissant's death. She was a great teacher! I had her for World Lit and was also on the It's Academic team.

One of my favorite memories of Ms. Croissant-- the final bell rang; she was standing behind her desk, in front of her chair. Someone whose name I can't remember went charging out of the room, behind her and knocked the chair away. I guess she was semi-supporting herself on the chair, because the next thing we knew, Ms. Croissant was invisible behind the desk. Only her feet were sticking out. There was a collective gasp and then we heard her laughing. The kid who'd done it was standing in the doorway, aghast.