Thursday, August 13, 2009

1st day after Alimta

First of all, I am back once again on dexamethasone - the steroid I have been on several times. At least this time I just take 2 the day before my infusion and 2 the day after the infusion. I will get an IV dose on the day of my chemo. Hopefully, I won't have lots of the usual steroid side effects that I have had before. Apparently, the dex is to reduce skin rash and other possible side effects.

I also get an IV of anti-nausea med while I get the chemo. Not sure if I need it. Better safe than sorry.

Now, the Alimta which is what they call a folate antimetabolite. This is another targeted chemo that stops production of 3 enzymes needed to feed the cancer cells. Dr Einhorn feels that I have had positive response from other treatments and it is worth trying this chemo. I will get 4 or 6 infusions spread out 3 weeks apart.

I need to start a multivitamin to get enough folic acid. That's right - I need to start since I have never taken a multivitamin regularly. During each infusion, I will receive a vitamin B12 shot.

Possible side effects include nausea, skin rash, leukopenia (shortage of white blood cells), and fatigue. Let's hope my body doesn't invent new side effects.

So far, I can't say that I really have felt much other than being a little tired yesterday afternoon. I fell asleep right after we got home about 4:30pm and slept until 7pm.

So...day 2 tomorrow.


Take care and be well. - JimA


Sent via Blackberry. Please excuse short answers and typos.

No comments: