Thursday, May 3, 2007

chemo begins

Well... tomorrow I get my first chemo treatment. Met with Dr. Einhorn on Wednesday. He pretty much confirmed what I had already understood. I have adenocarcinoma in my right lung. Left lung appears clear. The tumors are small but are throughout the right side and some lymph nodes are involved. Will have a head MRI next Monday to determine if the cancer has spread to my brain. He seemed to think that it is unlikely. But, if the cancer has spread to my brain, then other treatment will probably be necessary since the chemo will not work when the brain is involved. Also, Dr. Einhorn indicated that surgery is not a viable option for the stage of my cancer.

I am a little anxious about beginning treatment - but, not as anxious as I would be if they were going to cut me open for surgery. I've watched CSI, NCIS, Crossing Jordan, etc. and was not excited about having my body opened up like that.

We had to cancel our cruise. We were to be boarding tomorrow when I will be getting the chemo. Dr. Einhorn strongly recommended that we not wait to start the chemo in two weeks. Since we want to be very aggressive with treatment, we obviously agreed with him and cancelled the trip.

No comments: