Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Normal vision

I can't even begin to describe what it is like to have normal vision again. Both eyes have been corrected to 20/20. I need to wear reading glasses. But, I had to wear them before the problem started with the cataracts. After I made the roughly 4-hour drive home today after seeing Dr Z, one of the first things I did was to check all the reading glasses I already own. They all are suitable and I can read well. Basically, I am back to were I was after lasik (7 or 8 years ago) and pre-cataracts (past 9 months).

During the drive, I got to thinking about what would have been my situation many years ago before someone figured out how to remove cataracts and implant artificial lenses. I could tell that my vision was getting worse just about every week. Everything was blurry. I couldn't read street signs. I had to be within 8 inches to see my computer screen. I suppose 100's of years ago I would have just simply gone blind. Eventually, I may have just seen colors and blurry shapes. That would have sucked.

I still have a couple follow-up appointments. But, all the real work is done. I will now be able to see well when we go to Alaska!!

No comments: