Friday, September 18, 2009

Melvin's funeral

Went to Melvin Simon's funeral today. More than 2000 attended. First time I've been to a Jewish funeral. Was primarily a memorial including numerous talks by family and friends. Bill Clinton spoke very eloquently about Melvin and Bren (wife). I liked how each speaker included at least one humorous anecdote about Melvin - he would have enjoyed that.

Other attendees included Al Gore, Evan Bayh, Reggie Miller (and about half-dozen or more other current or former Pacers), David Stern (commissioner of the NBA) and many others I recognized by sight but not by name. I'm sure loads of state/local Democratic politicians were there; but, I don't know them.

I'm going to skip the memorial open houses at Melvin/Bren's home this afternoon and tomorrow and the memorial service at the synagogue (I think tomorrow). I'm not much for mingling - which is what I expect will be the case at the open houses.

All in all, it was a wonderful celebration for Melvin.


Take care and be well. - JimA


Sent via Blackberry. Please excuse short answers and typos.

No comments: