Thursday, April 30, 2009

Longer in hospital

Well...I really feel like Gilligan. I came for a normal follow up doc appt, ended up being admitted for overnight observation and I am now told I will be here for "a few days".

When the "team" of docs came by yesterday morning, they informed me that I "will not be going home today". Isn't that special? Apparently, the pulmonary embolism in my left lung is pretty big and they need to firm up treatment. Some type of surgery might be needed.

I gave myself a shot in the belly - who woulda thought? I don't remember yet the name of the med (something like lovonox); but, it is a blood thinner. I will need to give myself 2 shots each morning - apparently the dose is too high for one shot.

They have also started me back on the steroids. While I didn't really want to be on the steroids again, I suppose it's best since I will probably feel much better.

Also, they have me on oxygen - apparently, my oxygen level is low. I assume this is due to my left lung not taking in enough oxygen due to the embolism.

I haven't had to take another of the huge horse-sized potassium pills.

So...we'll see what the team has to say this morning, Thursday.


Take care and be well. - JimA

No comments: