Thursday, October 14, 2010

Life is odd

This week has been filled with fabulous Fall days.  Temps in the 60s and low 70s.  The leaves are turning beautiful colors - red, yellow, brown, a Fall rainbow of colors.  It has been an awesome drive to the office and the hospital.  And, there's the rub.  Lots of days at the hospital.  Days for Jill to go to her kidney transplant clinics.  (By the way, she is doing well.  She is planning to drive herself to her clinic tomorrow.)  Days for me to get a CT and and MRI.  One day, Tuesday, October 13, to learn that my lung cancer has once again become active.  Life can be such a contradiction.  Beautiful and harsh at the same time. 

Next week I go through a batch of tests to confirm that I qualify for this special no-name drug that will battle with my lung cancer.  Chest CT, Brain MRI, radioactive stuff injected to do a bone scan, CT on abdomen and hips, blood tests, EKG, eye exam and who knows what else. I will be glowing by Wednesday. But, hopefully, they will determine that I can start in the study of PF-02341066. 

I admit that I am a bit apprehensive.  I had hoped that this remission would continue for a few more months and would get us past the holidays.  That was not to be.  I am anxious to get going with this new drug.  I want to see if it lives up to its supposed success.  I'm the kind of person who likes to just jump into something, getting going, find out the side effects / deal with them.  I think that is the only way to really make the most of this kind of new drug.  So, PF-02341066 - let's get going.

1 comment:

Dennis Pyritz, RN said...

I just found your blog. As a fellow cancer survivor, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Also...Great Blog! You are a credit to the cancer blogging community. I have added you to my blogroll, “Cancer Blogs” with over 1000 other personal cancer blogs at www.beingcancer.net, a cancer networking site featuring a cancer book club, guest blogs, cancer resources, reviews and more.
If you have not visited before or recently, please stop by. If you agree that the site is a worthwhile resource for those affected by cancer, please consider adding Being Cancer Network to your own blogroll.
Now that you are listed, you can expect to gain a wider audience for your thoughts and experiences. Being Cancer Network is a place to share and communicate.
And like bloggers everywhere, I love receiving your comments and ideas.

Take care, Dennis (beingcancer@att.net)