Thursday, November 11, 2010

protocol of one

So it appears that I will not be the patient 83 in the study protocol as originally planned. Rather, I will be on a new study protocol and that protocol will have one patient - me.  Apparently, there is more than one way to skin a cat; and, Dr E found a different way. They went to Pfizer, the FDA and the IU Internal Review Board with this new protocal with one patient.  And, it was approved.  This process is why the final approval took so long.  So, I have my first dose tomorrow.  I had to get blood tests and a CT today.  I will get an EKG before taking the dose. Then I will get another EKG two hours after the dose. Debb the RN will also give me a schedule of visits, tests, doses and apparently diary-like entries that I must do to follow the protocol. As long as I have instructions, I can follow those instructions. So...I will embark on this journey of testing a new cutting edge lung cancer drug. 

No comments: