Monday, June 18, 2007

it's been a while

Well...it's been a while since my last post. So...let's get updated.

The trip to the Dominican Republic and the wedding were very nice. Punta Cana Bavaro Suites was a very nice place - I certainly recommend for anyone wanting a good land/beach-based vacation. The rooms, food, atmosphere were all great. It was very relaxing and we took lots of naps. The wedding was quite nice. It was nice to see everyone for longer than the typical wedding/reception since everyone was there for at least four days and others longer.

The day before we left I came down with pink eye. But, that is cleared up now and no longer a problem. We had been worried about possible infections on the trip since my immune system was compromised. But, the pink eye turned out to actually be a relatively minor issue.

Had PET/CT scans on Wednesday. Met with Dr Einhorn before chemo on Thursday. Turns out that what he referred to as the "big miracle" didn't happen - surgery does not look like an immediate option. However, the "small miracle" is that the chemo continues to make good progress. So...we will continue down that route.

The Thursday all-day chemo really kicked my butt. Didn't really have pain or the kinds of side effects that put me in the hospital a few weeks ago. More just a complete loss of energy and little appetite. Spent most of the time late Friday and all day Sunday just sleeping and doing very little. On Sunday, I moved around and ate a little - but still not very much. Today, Monday, I had to get to Dr Forkin's office for a blood draw and I had some breakfast - a great heart-healthy McDonald's breakfast!!! I am feeling a little better. Haven't been in to work for a while but plan to try to get in tomorrow for a while.

Have a short chemo this Thurday and a follow-up with Dr Forkin. I have been off my blood pressure meds since I was in the hospital and had extremely low BP. My BP has been slightly high since going off the meds. We'll see what Dr Forkin wants to do - Dr Einhorn is leaving that decision to her.

The current plan is for my next full-day chemo to be July 5. I assume there will be another short chemo the week after that. Then, Dr Einhorn wants to do the PET/CT scans again. He is not ready to give up on a chance for surgery. In any case, the PET/CT scans will help to determine the clear progress of the chemo during the first four infusions. Will then determine plan going forward. Don't know yet whether the plan will be for a couple more infusions.

No comments: