Saturday, September 8, 2012

Saturday Setember 8 Rehabilitation Hospital of Indiana

3rd day at RHI. Becoming familiar with the daily routine. 6:00 to 7:00 wake up, morning meds, move  by wheelchair to common area tables, breakfast delivered per order completed yesterday. Receive a written schedule for the day, 30-45 minutes for therapy - including occupational, physical, speech, respiratory, or other activities as needed.

Around 11:30 to 12:30 - lunch in the common area or cafeteria. Additional scheduled activities after lunch. Occasional opportunities for naps, TV,  chatting with other patients. Dinner at around 7:00 to 7:30. Very full daily schedule. I am doing a live-in program.

Goal is to get me back to my normal activities. It's like a boot camp. Obviously, medical staff is on-site - doctors, RNs, various therapists. So far, I have been worn out by the routine. I think I have made good progress. But, it doesn't seem to be something that will get me to a normal very rapidly. Seems like small steps are the norm.

During the days in ICU, I felt pretty crummy. For the days in recovery, I really had not made much progress.  After a few days at RHI, I definitely feel that I am making progress and I can now see the slow, small steps toward living normally.

No comments: